ALDI – The Australian History
Since opening our first Australian store in 2001, we’ve become one of the fastest growing retailers in the country. With over 500 stores nationally and a rapidly growing network worldwide, it's safe to say we have shaken up the supermarket industry.
We currently have over 12,000 hardworking employees throughout our stores, distribution centres and corporate offices. We have our sights set high, our continuous expansion will create even more employment opportunities for Australians.
In just a short time, we’ve managed to become one of Australia’s top ten retailers; influencing grocery prices, improving the perception of private label goods, and introducing a number of innovative market initiatives. In 2016 alone, we were named Supermarket of the Year (Roy Morgan's Australian Customer Satisfaction Awards), Retailer of the Year (ARA Australian Retail Awards) and awarded Most Satisfied Customers for Supermarkets in Australia (Canstar Blue)
None of these achievements could have occurred without the passion, hard work and dedication of our employees. So if you’re looking for a job that’s both interesting and rewarding, you’ve come to the right place.
The ALDI Way
Our vision is to enable Australian shoppers to live richer lives for less. All people, wherever they live should have the opportunity to buy everyday groceries of the highest quality at the lowest possible price. To put it simply, we offer our customers a smarter way to shop.
Our exclusively branded products are of market leading quality, and always competitively priced. All products are continuously subjected to rigorous in-house and independent laboratory testing to ensure that quality standards are sustained. Maintaining exceptional quality at an affordable price means we don’t use expensive merchandising or loyalty programs. Our model is simple, yet effective.
At ALDI, we take our responsibility to the community very seriously. As an international company with over 100 years of retail experience, we have a great understanding of corporate responsibility. We’re committed to developing and maintaining outstanding social and environmental standards, and strive for integrity in all our relationships with customers, business partners, employees and the wider community.
Longevity and trust in our business relationships are essential to ensure we continue to provide high quality products to our customers at an affordable price. The ALDI Supplier Standards define our commitment to human rights and fair labour ethics. They are based on the:
• United National Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
• UN Conventions on the Rights of the Child.
• Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
• International Labour Organisation (ILO) Conventions and
• OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
The long-term success of our business is dependent on the sustainable sourcing of our products. We’re constantly striving to minimise both the resource intensity of our products, and the negative environmental impacts associated with their production. Some of our initiatives include:
• Ranging Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified fish products, ensuring the fish used is in plentiful supply and is sourced from fisheries employing sustainable fishing methods.
• Supporting children’s charity Barnardos and their important work by providing children’s books, clothing, bed linen, electrical items and other household goods to distribute to those who need them the most.
• Teaming up with Foodbank, Oz Harvest and Second Bite hunger relief charities to support the disadvantaged and people living in at-risk communities. We’re helping to feed over 50,000 Australians a day by proudly donating quality, nutritious food each day.
• Removing artificial food colours from all our branded food items and exclusive brand lines.
• Joining forces with Planet Ark as the first supermarket in Australia to offer a free recycling service for household batteries in every store.
Go to https://www.aldi.com.au/en/about-aldi/aldi-initiatives/ to find out more about ALDI’s sustainability initiatives.